New Farm Dental Studio treats a wide range of patients, and everyone is different. That’s why it’s important to the team at New Farm Dental Studio that all patients receive a dental healthcare plan that is tailored to you and your specific needs. Keep reading to find out in New farm Dental Studio‘s own words, how they can help you if you suffer from dental anxiety.
One thing we often work through with our patients is the anxiety they have around their visits to the dentist. So we’re glad to see there has been a big movement recently bringing mental health to the forefront, taking it from taboo to tabloid. We all excel in certain situations, but we can find others difficult. When the stress from these situations becomes too much it alters the way we behave and react to certain activities. Anxiety manifests itself in many different situations including work anxiety, social anxiety, health anxiety, and in this case, dental anxiety. . .
There are many reasons why you may suffer from dental anxiety. It could be that you have had a previous traumatic experience, are worried about the invasion of personal space, are embarrassed about your dental health, or you may suffer from depression or PTSD.
If not addressed, dental anxiety can become a vicious cycle. It can make you find excuses for putting off dental appointments or avoid seeing the dentist altogether. This becomes an issue when early signs of dental problems are missed as check-ups become too infrequent. This can end up prompting an emergency trip once a dental issue becomes elevated, creating more stress for you.
So how can we help?
It is important to visit a dentist who understands dental anxiety and actively creates a welcoming and calm environment for their patients. For example, at New Farm Dental Studio, Dr Mark Calvert and the team make sure we’re a judgment-free zone and will make your visit as relaxing as possible.
We recommend that before you come to the dentist you:
- Communicate your fears over the phone.
- Visit the practice and meet our friendly dental team beforehand so you know what to expect on arrival.
- Ask to have a chat with your dentist beforehand to help create a safe space.
On the day, try to keep yourself as calm as possible…
- Book a morning appointment so you are not thinking about your visit to the dentist all day.
- Play your favourite music before the appointment.
- Focus on slowing down your breathing.
- Think of a reward you can treat yourself to afterwards. Our patients often visit the many delicious cafes we have downstairs after their appointments!
- Why not bring a friend or family member for support (you will probably need someone to share that treat with!)
All dentists are different, but here’s what you can expect from us during the appointment…
- We will not keep you waiting as we aim to keep all our appointments on time.
- Dr Mark and his dental assistant will make you comfortable.
- He will talk you through the process step by step alleviating any concerns you may have.
- We like to offer you the perfect distraction as the treatment begins. Our patients can choose to watch any show or movie on our Netflix overhead monitor! Or listen to their choice of music.
- We also offer painless injections using ‘The Wand’, a state-of-the-art local anaesthetic technique.
- There is also nitrous oxide available as an option for patients who really feel they need it (also known as laughing gas, nitrous oxide takes effect quickly and wears off with no lasting side effects).
When it comes to dental anxiety you are not alone! So please don’t suffer in silence, our friendly team is here to help you enjoy your visit to the dentist. If you have any questions or would like to chat with one of us, please give us a buzz on (07) 3254 3222 or pop up to Level 1 in Merthyr Village to see us anytime!